Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams



Summary:
Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated community without questioning the fact that her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters, with two more on the way. That is, without questioning them much---if you don’t count her secret visits to the Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her meetings with Joshua, the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her.
But when the Prophet decrees that she must marry her sixty-year-old uncle---who already has six wives---Kyra must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family forever.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com

The reason I decided to give this book a chance is all because I read this review >>Click here for the review that started it all << Normally I wouldn't have picked this one up but I liked her review so much I had to.

I really enjoyed the book which I read in all of 2 hours  yesterday afternoon while waiting for my better half to come crawling in the door after a hard day at work. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon I must say. I liked the author's style of writing a lot.

Kyra the main character was so strong willed it was nice to see given the enviornment she group up in.  She's a 13 (almost 14) year old girl who is being raised in a polygamist compound where the men wield the power and the women are subservient. Kyra's own father has 3 wives her mother being the youngest of these who ,arried her father when she was just 14 years old.

Kyra is the oldest of her mothers children and thus has taken over many of the duties that were once her mothers because her mother is pregnant and bed ridden like she always is during pregnancy. Kyra despite being raised in this enviornment shares a deep love with her family even though she knows that she is disobeying the rules by reading books brought to her by the mobile library and sneaking around with the boy she wants  for herself.

Faced by a horrible future Kyra starts thinking of ways to escape and make her future her own. The author has made Kyra a brave girl who shows her strength in the face of adversity and her character will stay with you for a long time I hope.

I highly recommend this one!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★


6 comments:

  1. the book sound interesting, and a quick easy read..thanks for sharing and its so nice to hear that a review..got you interested in a book you wouldn't normally read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved loved loved this book. I'm glad you decided to read it based on somebody else's review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like an intriguing read. I like that the character sounds like a brave girl who stay with you long after you finish the book! I like it when I remember a character distinctly. I am off to put it on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice review. definitely an conserversial issue its based on. And no mormon jokes please lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved this book and it's great that you loved it too. Thanks for for following my blog, by the way (*new follower*)! And I think your blog is pretty too (I love this owls! So cute).

    -Ela @YA Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

    Myfolio.com
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!