Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mask of the Gladiator by Georgie Lee






Summary:
Rome, 41 AD






Livia Duronius is driven to seek out a gladiator after watching him triumph in the Colosseum. His touch arouses a sense of hope she hasn't felt since Rome fell under the tyrannical rule of Caligula—and her late husband betrayed her. Though in danger of losing more than her heart, she vows to see him again, even after she learns her uncle has arranged her marriage to a senator.
Senator Titus Marius cannot resist indulging in a passionate encounter with the veiled woman who waits for him after the games, though he faces execution if his true identity is discovered. Bound by honor to wed another, and embroiled in a plot to free Rome from madness, he never expects to see the mystery woman again.
When the fates reunite them in the marriage bed, Titus vows to protect Livia at all costs—even from the lecherous eyes of the emperor...
17,000 words

summary taken from Goodreads.com


My, my, my it seems that the good people over at Carina Press are getting into publishing historical romance novellettes. At 54 pages this one is another short but enjoyable read. In this tiny book there lies romance, mystery, intrigue and assassination oh boy!

Livia is a woman who has vowed not to remarry since the political unrest  in Rome drove her husband to flee the city and leave her in the interests of saving his own skin and died anyways. One day she is at a gladiator match and finds herself moved by one of the fighters, it's her future love interest Titus in disguise risking everything to battle secretly as a gladiator though he is a noble senator.

Livia is so moved she finds herself yearning to feel him against her bare flesh and after his victory over the enemy she finds him in his quarters amongst the other gladiators. A tryst ensues and high born Livia must depart leaving both of them yearning for something more. But how can a slave and a lady be together?

When Livia returns home to her uncles estate he informs her that he has a suitor for her despite her objections. The political climate in Rome isn't favourable and she needs to do this for her safety and who should so happen to walk in but Titus himself who was completely unaware that his intended was the Lady he had a romp with early that day.

Soon Livia realizes who he is and they get married, have some sex and kill the emperor Caligula (they sure knew how to name their leaders didn't they?) I actually thought that this was a pretty good read short, simple to the point and I recommend giving it a try. The characters are likable and the setting is great. I'll definitely be trying more of the authors other books.








*I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my free and honest review.


★★★


7 comments:

  1. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

    Sett.com
    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

    Thenewsletterplugin.com
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

    Trello.com
    Aeriagames.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

    Newworldtube.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!