Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

The Compound 

Summary:
Eli and his family have lived in the underground Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone, and they've become accustomed to their new life. Accustomed, but not happy.
For Eli, no amount of luxury can stifle the dull routine of living in the same place, with only his two sisters, his father and mother, doing the same thing day after day after day.

As problems with their carefully planned existence threaten to destroy their sanctuary - and their sanity - Eli can't help but wonder if he's rather take his chances outside.

Eli's father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe - or sorry?
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 256 pages (hardcover)
Publication Date: April 29th 2008

Ever since I read The Raft by S.A. Boodeen click here to read my review I've been looking to read another book by the author. Last week I finally got around to doing so and the book turned out to be so good that I read it in 2 hours!

The story focuses on a 15 year old boy named Eli who, along with his family have lived in an underground compound for the last 6 years because his tycoon father got word that a nuclear event had occured. Unfortunately for the family Eli's twin brother Eddy and Eli's maternal grandmother were left behind in the chaos. The family can't get out, and no one can get in for another 9 years,

Bitter over the loss of his twin Eli has withdrawn into himself and turned to cruel words when interacting with his family. Through a series of events Eli starts to unearth a secret, one that his father has managed to keep hidden for six long, lonely years.

This book was such a good read! I loved it, my only issue was with Eli. I hated his attitude. Yes I know he lost his brother but for some reason I can't stand characters who are jerks for any reason so while I found his actions heroic in the end I hated how he acted earlier in the book.

I thought the book was an excellent effort put for by the author. She seems to excell at writing books about teens who are put in extreme conditions where their survival is dependant on the choices that they do or do not make. This one while similar to The Raft, was a bit more warped. I mean if you do read it or have read it you will know what I mean. Seriously, how does one think that up? I mean I like some weird stuff in books but I never expected what was revealed to be in a YA book so it was a little creepy which I absolutely loved.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a bit of a darker read about survival in an extreme situation. Especially those who love YA fiction. This is a great book!

To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To Purchase the book via BookDepository CLICK HERE
To visit the author's website CLICK HERE

★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Raft, I don't really think I will but this one does sound promising. Thank you for the great review!

    Shortskie @ Rondo of a Possible World

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks, interesting! Might have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Compound has been on my wishlist for so long, your review just reminds me how much I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 hours! Gosh, that's great. I need to read The Raft and now this one too. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!