Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2) by Beth Revis


A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
 
Summary:
 
Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.

It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. Everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed.

But there may be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to act on his vision—no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder learns shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a mystery that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier. Their success—or failure—will determine the fate of the 2,298 passengers aboard Godspeed. But with each step, the journey becomes more perilous, the ship more chaotic, and the love between them more impossible to fight.

Beth Revis catapulted readers into the far reaches of space with her New York Times bestselling debut, Across the Universe. In A Million Suns, Beth deepens the mystery with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.
Summary & Photo taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 386 pages (Hardcover)
Publication Date: January 10th 2012 by Razorbill
 
Last year I picked up Across the Universe and really loved it and I'd been waiting to finally read the second book A Million Suns for ages before I read it a couple weeks ago.
 
This book picked up 3 months or so after the the ending of Across the Universe which is just where it needed to start off. I thought it was great to get back into the world on the ship Godspeed because to be honest I've really missed the author's writing.
 
Since the first book left off, Amy is trying to adjust to life as she now knows it. She is so different from those on the ship with her and her only ally is Elder, the teenage leader of the ship who took power in the first book.
 
In this book there was a lot more suspense in it than the first one and it was drawn out through the entire novel and I loved that about it. Often in YA fiction the authors do not carry out suspense very well and it ends far too soon and is altogether anti climatic. However, Revis in my opinion did an outstanding job of creating a suspenseful plot.
 
I think that while I enjoyed the first book a lot that the author really did hit her stride with this one. The plot was a lot stronger and better paced than that of the first novel and a lot of the questions I had while I was reading Across the Universe and ones I had after I finished reading it were answered in A Million Suns. However, now I have a whole bunch of questions that I hope the third book will finally answer for me.
 
This book had a lot more violence, intrigue and romance than the first book because now Elder is the leader of the people on Godspeed and the relationship between Amy and he seems to go up and down like a bloody roller coaster. One moment their getting closer and the next events on the ship are tearing them apart turning the book into a bit of an angsty read but I enjoyed that part of it. I'm not a huge fan of "perfect" love stories where everyone gets along and everything is grand and wonderful. The emotions of the book were very real which I think is extremely important.
 
A huge mystery was solved in this book and one would think that that would solve the problems Amy and Elder are facing on the rapidly deteriorating ship Godspeed a whole other can of worms is inevitably opened and it will be very interesting to see where the book goes from here.
 
The only big problem I had with the book was how Elder treated Amy sometimes. It is his fault that she was brought out of cryo-stasis because he thought she was beautiful but in this book he seems to blame her a lot for the discord their relationship causes amongst the people of Godspeed who believe Amy is a freak and he goes so far as to call her one as well. In my opinion he has absolutely no right to be like that with her and if it were me in Amy's place I would have decked him long ago. Instead, I found Amy to be a little to deferential to Elder it was as though the pain he caused her was alright just because he had a lot of responsibility. I felt that Amy had lost a wee bit of the fiery personality that she had in the first book and I hope that she regains that strength in the next book.
 
Overall, I really enjoyed finally reading the second book in this series and I would highly recommend this series to all those who enjoy sci-fi ya romances that aren't too....science fiction-y. If that makes sense. Even if you aren't a fan of the sci-fi genre this series is a great read and if you've read the first one and haven't read A Million Suns yet I highly advise doing so soon. I can't wait to see where the next book leads and I'm glad that book three will be released in January.
 
Really Liked it!
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2
To "Like" Beth on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Beth on Twitter CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Beth onTumblr CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Beth on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Beth's Website CLICK HERE
To visit Beth's Blog CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. A new author, book and a genre I am not familiar with but I so liked your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mystica! I hope you get a chance to try the series :)

      Delete
  2. I've only read the first book and wasn't too happy with it, but people say this one is much better. I'm tempted to give it a try.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it! I really like this series, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so much about this series but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it though :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I think you would enjoy mass effect. Great characters, story, and romance too

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

    Click Here
    Profile.ameba.jp

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!