Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Progeny by Patrick C. Greene


Progeny
 
Summary:
 
Owen Sterling is a reclusive author living in a secluded house deep in the woods. When he welcomes his son Chuck for a summer visit, the eleven-year-old suspects something is not right at his father's home. His worries mount when he witnesses a confrontation between his father and some local hunters. Zane Carver is the local gun-shop owner who confronts the author over Owen's refusal to let anyone on his land for hunting or camping. He defies the recluse, taking a hunting party onto Owen's property. Soon, Zane and his buddies discover the writer's secret . . . a deadly secret; a creature whose infinite rage they have unwittingly ignited . . . that is now hunting them.
Summary & Photo taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 230 pages (E-book)
Source: Kindle Freebie
Publication Date: October 20th 2012 by Hobbes End Publishing, LLC
 
 A couple weeks back when Mr. Turning the Pages went to a friend's house one evening I commandeered his iPad and set about reading Progeny one of the Kindle freebies that I had downloaded for Mr. Turning the Pages to read. After looking the book up on Goodreads I couldn't start reading the book fast enough.
 
It's no secret at all that I enjoy a good monster novel especially when the monster happens to be Big Foot. Honestly how can anyone not love a horror novel featuring one of the most iconic monsters in the world? Not me! I always love any novel with Big Foot and Progeny by Patrick C. Greene was no exception.
 
I was immediately drawn into the novel. It was set mostly in the outskirts of a small rural town in the middle of no where the setting was ideal for the type of novel this turned out to be. The story centers around a small but well rounded cast of characters. There's Owen the writer, his son, his love interest, as well as Zane Carver, his teenage son as well as Zane's hunting buddies and of course a family of Big Foot.
 
The novel centers around Zane who wants to make his son more manly and wants to piss off Owen who owns the land that the local Native American Tribe allowed him to purchase by hunting on the prime wilderness zone out of season. The two have had numerous confrontations about the subject of hunting but Owen holds fast. He's seen what is out there in the woods behind his home and he knows that they deserve protection.
 
Things seem to be going well until shortly after Owen's son Chuck comes for a visit when stuff between Zane and his son hits the proverbial fan accelerating both families towards a dangerous confrontation. Zane breaks the law along with his reluctant son and eager cronies steal on to Owens land and meet the creature no one knew existed.
 
A series of violent event follow for both human a Big Foot alike accelerating a confrontation between the two different yet similar species. The way Patrick wrote about the hunting scenes reminded me of how me of the typical arrogant small town hunters that we've all met or seen in movies. I thought that the way he created them and the tension between the hunters and Owen was great. In fact I thought all the characters were pretty well developed. True I would have liked to know more about them but the way they fit into the story is the reason why I thought they were so good.
 
I enjoyed the plot, while it may not be very unique on it's own it is unique in the way that the author told the story. The author's voice is what I feel made the book most enjoyable to me. There was a lot of action, violence, gore and a great storyline between the covers of this novel and I thought it was a wonderfully fun yet spooky read. The way that the author depicted the Big Foot species as being very human like was an added bonus that I could really appreciate. The pacing of the novel was great, it was neither to fast nor to slow it was just right. It was exactly the type of novel I needed to read at the time and it was a quick entertaining one at that. I think I managed to finish this one in just over two hours which I wish could have lasted longer because I enjoyed it so much.
 
Overall, I have to say that the author did a great job creating a spooky, action filled adrenaline rushing Big Foot novel and I can't wait to see more by him. My hope is he writes more books like this because I think that he did a great job. I would recommend this novel to anyone look for a quick spooky read with Big Foot as the star.
 
Really Liked it!
★ ★ ★ ★

To "Like" Patrick on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Bryan on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Bryan on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Bryan's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase Progeny via Amazon CLICK HERE
 


 
 

16 comments:

  1. This sounds wickedly creepy and you are right who doesn't like bog foot monsters! Awesome review Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get this now! I love sasquatch stories and your wonderful review has made me excited about this one. Going to go get it and check out the author. Yeah, a new author to follow!
    Merry Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds spooky and I am intrigued! Awesome review! I haven't heard of this one- but have added it to my list. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really read books that will creep me out but this does sound pretty good! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to stop by and say hello! I love your blog's design. It's really cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed the book on the iPad baby. Great review baby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed the book on the iPad baby. Great review baby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw this in blog version! Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day! Agen Bola Sbobet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    Pathtounite.org
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!