Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie #1) by Ingrid Paulson


Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
 
Summary:
 
Nothing ever happens in Norway. But at least Ellie knows what to expect when she visits her grandmother: a tranquil fishing village and long, slow summer days. And maybe she’ll finally get out from under the shadow of her way-too-perfect big brother, Graham, while she’s there.

What Ellie doesn’t anticipate is Graham’s infuriating best friend, Tuck, tagging along for the trip. Nor did she imagine boys going missing amid rumors of impossible kidnappings. Least of all does she expect something powerful and ancient to awaken in her and that strange whispers would urge Ellie to claim her place among mythological warriors. Instead of peace and quiet, there’s suddenly a lot for a girl from L.A. to handle on a summer sojourn in Norway! And when Graham vanishes, it’s up to Ellie—and the ever-sarcastic, if undeniably alluring Tuck—to uncover the truth about all the disappearances and thwart the nefarious plan behind them.

Deadly legends, hidden identities, and tentative romance swirl together in one girl’s unexpectedly-epic coming of age.
Summary & Photo taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 352 pages (Hardcover)
Publication Date: October 9th 2012 by HarperTeen
 
FINALLY! A book with Valkyries set in NORWAY! I cannot tell you how happy those two things made me while I read Valkyrie Rising. Seriously. I'm sick of mythological being appearing out of the blue in the U.S.A. I don't know why but it really irks me. So the fact that Ingrid Paulson wrote a young adult novel about the Valkyries that took place in Norway was a huge deal for me. Plus the fact that she made some attempts to talk about places in Norway showed she did a bit of research on the country which I totally appreciated since the book was read for my Around the World Reading Challenge.
 
I've always loved Norse mythology so when I found out about this book months ago I couldn't wait to read it but like always when I got the book from the library I didn't get around to reading it until the night before it's due back...which was last night. However, the book had me hooked from the first page so it worked out remarkably well since the writing was so addictive I could not put the book down at all.
 
Ingrid Paulson brought a fantastic debut novel to the table that has a lot of action, Norse mythology, a wee bit of romance and a kick ass heroine that comes into her own. I absolutely loved Elsa (Ellie)'s character. She started off very unsure of herself and very shy but by the end of the novel she matured, and became a lot stronger sand more self confident which was great to see because I hate characters who are pushovers. I loved how much she cared about not only rescuing her older brother Graham but also rescuing all the other boys Astrid the leader of the Valkyries kidnapped for use in Odin's army.
 
The other characters in the novel were great too. Graham, Ellie's brother was the typical annoying big brother. He was always butting his head into her business and trying to make decisions for her completely ignoring the fact that she is her own person.
 
Tucker was a great love interest for Ellie because of his teasing nature he balanced out her more serious nature and he added a lot of humour to the book which was needed and I thought he was really endearing despite the fact that he was a little annoying in the beginning.
 
Hilda, who is Ellie and Graham's grandmother on their father's side was unlike any grandmother I've ever read about and if you read the book you'll find out why that is. I thought she was a wonderful chsaracter and you csn tell that Ellie gets a lot of her strength from her Grandmother.
 
Overall all other characters were great. I was a little bit worried that there wouldnt be very much attention paid to the side characters but they were wonderfully created and they had just the right amount of depth to make the interesting and to make me want to read more about them in the next book in the series.
 
The plot was also wonderfully written. There was a lot of action that was interwoven with the mythology and romance themes which were not over done or cheesy but were just right. I liked how the story was mainly focused on Ellie's search for her brother and learning about who and what she is as well as a bit of the mythology behind the Valkyries. The romance between her and Tucker thankfully too a backseat for most of the novel and I am so glad that their relationship wasn't another dreaded case of the wretched insta-love fad that's been plaguing young adult novels as of late. The pace of the novel was great and it kept me reading late into the night and I couldn't put it down until I finished it because I couldn't wait to see how it ended. The story will draw you in and you'll be thinking about it long after you finish it.
 
Ingrid Paulson wrote a great debut novel and I highly recommend this novel to everyone especially if you're a fan of young adult novels that deal with mythology especially Norse mythology. I think she's a talented author and I can't wait to read the next book in the series and this is definetly one of the best books I've read in 2012.
 
Loved it!
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To "Like" Ingrid on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Ingrid on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Ingrid on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Ingrid's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 

16 comments:

  1. I think you've convinced me to read it! I'll be sure to check out the book the next time I go to the library (tomorrow)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you like it, I'll keep an eye out for your review :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked the book. I've wanted to read this one since it came out, but someting always comes up. I hope I get to read it soon.
    I agree with you on the book setting. I love when the book is set somewhere else. It doesn't make sense when they write mythological book set in US when there're so much better places where the setting could have been.

    Great review!

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I'm glad you liked it, too! I agree that everything being set in the US is annoying. However, I know that it's hard to write about places when you haven't spent a lot of time there. I, too, found Norway refreshing. :D

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly what an awesome review, i am drooling and it's set in Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this one! Glad to hear it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any books about Valkyries, no idea about the myth, so I think I should pick it up based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want to read this one even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review baby. They should have a novel that takes play in Saskatchewan lol. Glad you found another book you loved

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you on the Norway thing...it bothers me so much that Norse gods keep popping up in rural USA...I'm so glad you enjoyed it and this really makes me excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

    About.me
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  12. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

    Visit Web
    Myopportunity.com
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  13. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

    Tiede.fi
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

    Mojomarketplace.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!