Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)


Summary:

THE HOT NEW NAME IN PARANORMAL ROMANCE.
Nalini Singh dives into a world torn apart by a powerful race with phenomenal powers of the mind-and none of the heart.
In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of "rehabilitation" - the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was...
Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion - and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities - or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation...
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 334 pages (Mass Market Paperback)
Available Formats: Print/E-book/Audio
Publication Date: September 5th 2006 by Berkley Sensation

I've been a fan of Nalini Singh's since I first came across her Guild Hunter series back in 2011 and I've been wanting to try her Psy-Changeling series for just as long, and last week I finally bit the bullet and borrowed the e-book from my library.

And you know what? I loved it. I did, I really, really did. I was totally surprised by the fact that I loved it because of the sci-fi and paranormal blend which I thought was pretty unique compared to the other romances I usually read.

The book focuses on two people. First there's Sascha, a Psy. Someone who has had the emotion supressed in them, they have individual personalities, and powers but no emotion. Except something went wrong with Sascha and she does feel things, and that could get her killed if the wrong people found out. Then there's Lucas, the alpha of the DarkRiver pack of Leopard shifters, he's all emotion and can tell that there's something different about Sascha but it takes time to figure out just what that difference is.

I loved both characters, sometimes I struggle with alpha heroes but when it comes to Nalini Singh, I love them. She creates them in such a way that I can't help but adore them, even if they can be major pricks she always gives them redeeming qualities, and Lucas's most redeeming quality is his loyalty to those around them, plus he's a shifter. How could I not like him? I didn't always agree with him but I liked him a lot through out the whole book.

As for Sascha, I was really surprised to like her since I've read a romance like this before where I hated the heroine I loved Sasha. Unlike the other Psy we encounter in the book she's all emotion, even though she had to keep it under wraps around her kind, I enjoyed seeing her embrace her differences and use them for good.

As a couple, I loved this pairing of characters. Yes, Lucas is all macho but Sasha is able to smooth out his rougher edges and they went together so well both in and out of the bedroom. Singh has always been able to create a strong storyline that is both equally character and plot driven in her other series that I've read so it was nice to see that her ability to create scorching chemistry in one of her earlier novels was great.

The plot of the novel was a strong one. Both Lucas and Sasha are trying to find the Psy who is abducting and butchering other shifters, leopards as well as wolves and it becomes a game of cat and mouse, with both sides of the coin having much to lose if it comes to light that there's a rogue Psy in the world. At first I was very unsure about the whole Psy thing because of the sci-fi nature of them and race but in the end I enjoyed it and thought it was really refreshing. Yes, I have some questions about the Psy and the Changelings but I suspect many of those questions if not all will be answered in the subsequent novels in the series.

Overall, this turned out to be one of my favourite reads of this year. Nalini Singh is one of my favourite authors so I'm glad that I finally gave her first series a try, though I am kicking myself for not starting it sooner. The plot was complex and the romance between the characters was able to build up before it bubbled over. I liked the angst and the way that she set up this first book in her series and I'm dying to read the second one.

I would recommend this to fans of Nalini Singh who haven't yet started her Psy-Changeling series for fears that it won't have strong characters like those in her Guild Hunter series. If you love shifter romances but want one with a twist where there isn't a case of insta-love and want something refreshing in the genre I highly recommend picking this one up and if you long your heroines with a strong personality grab it as soon as you can

I read this book for the following reading challenges:
 
2013 150+ Reading Challenge
2013 Paranormal Reading Challenge

 
Loved it!
★★★★★

To "Like" Nalini  on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Nalini  on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Nalini  on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Nalini's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE

.

15 comments:

  1. I have at least one Nalini Singh book on my Kindlle/Nook. I Must Read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks quite good and I love paranormal woo-woo! It sounds like it has some romantic suspense and the blending of science fiction usually turns out to be a plus for me. Wonderful review Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really give it a try Kimberly! She's a wonderful author and appeals to people who want a more substantial storyline.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good! I'm just coming to the end of a book right now, so this might be my next investment :)

    Sarah | Some Sparkle and Shine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also fell in love with this series about two months ago and am just now reading the final book. The books are beyond awesome! I especially like the whole world of the three races. Paranormal authors have the best books when it comes to imagination. But Nalini Singh kicks it up to genius level. So glad that you loved it. Hope you continue! My favorite are book 6 and 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for another fan! I'll prepare myself for books 6 & 10 :)

      Delete
  5. I love this series so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it too. My favorites are #3 (Caressed by Ice), #10 (Kiss of Snow), and #12 (Heart of Obsidian), but all of them are good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I finally gave it a chance, Nalini Singh never disappoints :) Thanks for stopping by Jennifer!

      Delete
  6. Oh yayI I read her novella in the Magical Christmas Cat and loved it! Too funny about the loveable pricks. Yes she does that well from what I've seen. lol I have this on downstairs and just haven't found the time. So glad to hear you loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to buy that one :) I hope you read this one soon it's right up your alley :D

      Delete
  7. Great review baby
    The world kinda sounds like underworld which is cool

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I love the sci fi mix with shifters. Nalini Singh is in a league of her own and a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first book by this author and it's such a great discovery, really loved it !

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!