Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Teaser Tuesday #61

 Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
 
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
 BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
 
Serena
 
Summary:
 
The year is 1929, and newlyweds George and Serena Pemberton travel from Boston to the North Carolina mountains where they plan to create a timber empire. Although George has already lived in the camp long enough to father an illegitimate child, Serena is new to the mountains—but she soon shows herself to be the equal of any man, overseeing crews, hunting rattle-snakes, even saving her husband's life in the wilderness. Together this lord and lady of the woodlands ruthlessly kill or vanquish all who fall out of favor. Yet when Serena learns that she will never bear a child, she sets out to murder the son George fathered without her. Mother and child begin a struggle for their lives, and when Serena suspects George is protecting his illegitimate family, the Pembertons' intense, passionate marriage starts to unravel as the story moves toward its shocking reckoning.

Rash's masterful balance of violence and beauty yields a riveting novel that, at its core, tells of love both honored and betrayed.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 371 pages (Hardcover)
Publication Date: October 7th 2008 by Ecco (first published August 1st 2008
 
 
Pg. 91
 
When the sickness came upon them Rachel thought it was something picked up at the camp's church service, because it was a Tuesday when Jacob first glowed with fever. He fussed and his brow slickened with sweat. Rachel was no better off herself , fever sopping her dress and hair, the world off plumb and whirling like a spinning top.
 
if-youre-here-blinkie

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a heart-wrenching moment, especially for a mother to watch over a sick child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was Freda :) Rachel (so far) is a great young mother.

      Delete
  2. I've wondered how this story is as I heard good things in the past. The imagery of the sickness comes out well in the teaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good, addicting actually :) I hope you try it out.

      Delete
  3. This story sounds emotionally intense. I hope you're enjoying it, and thanks for visiting our teasers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds intense, Kimberly.

    Thanks for stopping by my TT about a Sookie Stackhouse book at http://wp.me/pZnGI-dk

    ReplyDelete
  5. She certainly doesn't sound like a very nice person. Hope you enjoy(ed) it, and thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a bit out there so far, definitely not the most stable woman that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. I heard about this book and I was really interested, especially since I live in NC myself. I like your teaser. I might need to add this one to the TBR pile. Thanks for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little unsure of it myself in the beginning before I started it, but once I started it sucked me right in. I'm only 1/3 way through and think it's fantastic.

      Delete
  7. The summary did it for me; I think I may have to add this to my TBR list!

    Thanks for stopping by and reading my teaser. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little guy :( nice teaser btw

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice teaser. Makes me wonder if Rachel is more of a sympathetic character in the long run than Serena. And Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm... you caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh.... intriguing!! Thanks for stopping by my TT! Sorry, it's a late reply- had to work last night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

    Viralnesia
    Traveller

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!