Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday 56 #33


This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56 

 Rules:
 
 *Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it
 
Maplecroft (The Borden Dispatches #1)
 
Summary:
 
Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks; and when she saw what she had done, she gave her father forty-one....

The people of Fall River, Massachusetts, fear me. Perhaps rightfully so. I remain a suspect in the brutal deaths of my father and his second wife despite the verdict of innocence at my trial. With our inheritance, my sister, Emma, and I have taken up residence in Maplecroft, a mansion near the sea and far from gossip and scrutiny.

But it is not far enough from the affliction that possessed my parents. Their characters, their very souls, were consumed from within by something that left malevolent entities in their place. It originates from the ocean’s depths, plaguing the populace with tides of nightmares and madness.

This evil cannot hide from me. No matter what guise it assumes, I will be waiting for it. With an axe.
  Summary & Cover taken from
Goodreads.com
Length: 448 pages (Paperback)
Publication Date: September 2nd 2014 by Roc Trade
 
Pg. 56
 
Often he could be spotted down on the rocks, either in bare feet or wearing soft, flat slippers. He moved between the boulders like a cat on a shelf, picking his way deftly, his eyes on the cracks where soaked sand had been washed by the tide, threading itself in the white seams full of tiny treasures. To watch him, you'd swear he was a creature of the shore himself, moving from stone to sand to surf with such unwavering expertise.
 
if-youre-here-blinkie

7 comments:

  1. "The Borden Dispatches" cracked me up but that cover is forboding.
    I'm curious about this one. Taking place after she's not proven guilty, it will be interesting to see where the author takes this. Something from the sea, hmm..
    Here is my 56 from A Hidden Element - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/10/17/the-friday-56-41-a-hidden-element/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw the cover, I thought Lizzie Borden. I have read several books about her story and enjoyed them. I love the description of the 56. I too love to walk the beaches and jetties, looking for nature's hidden treasure. But, is he finding treasures or something else?
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes - Bad Apples

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Lizzie Borden tie in so I'm really curious about this one! The 56 sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creepy cover and the Borden tie-in is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is definitely chilling. I'm curious about the character from Page 56 -- is he a good guy or bad? It's hard to tell from the description. I wonder why he spends so much time on the beach, and I'd read more to get to know him and Lizzie Borden too!
    My Friday post features NOT YET.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very selective of my mystery book adventures so, I am wondering if the mystery and thriller factors are subtle in this one, because that aside, the blurb, Friday 56 and book cover have me bewitched!

    Here's mine:
    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover and 56. Looks like my kind of read!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!