Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday #131

 
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine and is where we can talk about books we are looking forward to being released.
 
Secret of a Thousand Beauties
 
Summary:
 
Set against the vibrant and intrigue-laden backdrop of 1930s China, Mingmei Yip's enthralling novel explores one woman's defiant pursuit of independence.

Spring Swallow was promised in marriage while still in her mother's belly. When the groom dies before a wedding can take place, seventeen-year-old Spring Swallow is ordered to become a ghost bride to appease his spirit. Under her in-laws' protection, she will be little more than a servant, unable to know real love or bear children. Refusing to accept her fate as a "bad-luck woman," Spring Swallow flees on her wedding day.


In the city of Soochow, Spring Swallow joins a community of renowned embroiderers. The women work for Aunty Peony, whose exquisite stitching once earned her the Emperor's love. But when Aunty Peony agrees to replicate a famous painting--a lucrative assignment that will take a year to complete--betrayal and jealousy emerges within the group. Spring Swallow becomes entangled in each woman's story of heartbreak, even while she embarks on a dangerous affair with a young revolutionary. On a journey that leads from the remote hillsides around Soochow to cosmopolitan Peking, Spring Swallow draws on the secret techniques learned from Aunty Peony and her own indomitable strength, determined to forge a life that is truly her own.
Summary & Cover taken from
Goodreads.com
Length: 320 pages (Paperback)
Expected Publication Date: November 25th 2014 by Kensington
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
I haven't read many novels set in China and I'd like to read this one because I've heard amazing things about this author and the book sounds very good.
 
Witch Upon a Star
 
Summary:
 
He's come for me. My savior, my heart, and ultimately, my devil.

As a child, Anna Olmstead is rescued from her life of poverty and drugs by a vampire named Asher. Over the years, she grows to love Asher, first as a father and later as a lover. But soon trouble interrupts her once-perfect life. While Anna wants to settle down, Asher wants a more voyeuristic, party-driven lifestyle.

When Anna leaves him, Asher does everything he can to bring her back to him--including murder. Even as she finally escapes and starts a new life with a special agent of the F.R.E.A.K.S., Asher makes a new move to kidnap Anna and her children. This time, she may not be able to escape him.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 312 pages (Paperback)
Expected Publication Date: March 8th 2015 by Midnight Ink
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
This is the third book in Jennifer Harlow's A Midnight Magic Mystery and I absolutely LOVED the first one, and haven't picked up the second book yet but when I saw a new book in the series was coming out I knew I  would be diving into book two in preparation for this one soon.
 
if-youre-here-blinkie 

1 comment:

  1. Both books sound great. Secrets of a Thousand Beauties is particularly intriguing to me! I love a coming of age books where the heroine gains courage and strength. Great picks, Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!